Thursday, May 28, 2009

Paraguayan Artistry

One of the things few things to do in Paraguay on a weekend was to go shopping in the artesian towns, this picture was taken in Tobati. The man is Senor Zenon Paez, it's his shop. See this link http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+making+of+a+saint-a08494608 to read more about his life and work. The lovely lady next between us is Vida Martinez, a very good friend, with whom I've sadly lost touch. Senor Paez was lovely and I bought a copy of the tall thin wood carving next to him. I love it and Senor Paez was such a nice man. Under the photo of Senor Paez's family is a photo of him gifting Pope John Paul II with a special present. He pointed it out every time we visited him -- it was one of his proudest moments, I think.


Here is a sample of his work. Mostly saints, but on the bottom row are masks and peasant and his ox cart, which seemed to be a big "thing" in Paraguay at the time.

Here is the wood he saved for his carvings. I can't recall the name of the wood, but it had a very special scent.
My first big art purchase. It's a lapacho tree (otherwise known as a jacaranda). They are everywhere in Paraguay. They line one of the main avenue's in Asuncion and when the petals fall off the tree into the tram rails you would look down the Avenue and see two lines of purple, it was very picturesque -- I wish I had taken one. I bought this painting in particular because it was very representative to me of the Paraguayan countryside.

I don't remember where I took this one, it was one of the little artesian towns. That is not water in the background though.

This church is on the other side of the street. Very pretty, yes?


Don't recall where this was, but thought it was the weirdest rock I have every seen.

This is the "la Residencia" statue commemorating Paraguayn independence.

Typical "modern" village street in Paraguay.


Even more typical with the cow in the road!

Me shaking hads with President Carter! He monitored the first "democratic" election in Paraguay. Corruption in this, like in everything there was rampant. But at the end of the day people voted for the Colorado Party because it was the party they knew. I think they would've won even without the corruption. Carter's Secret Service team were a lot of fun!
Me and my date, Larry, before my first Marine Ball.


Me and the Marine Security Guards at the ball. This was the best group I've ever had the opportunity to work with -- a lovely group of men.
I had a GREAT time at the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment